Friday, September 2, 2011

Dang Me

You may or may not know Roger Miller's song "Dang Me". It's a fairly famous country song, and it's also fairly silly. I have included a version of it here.

Next, I have included what Buddy Miller (no relation) did with it, I believe, last year. I don't think I have ever heard a song so completely turned on its head before (for me, even more so than Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"); it literally becomes a different song, and about something else. That version is here.

IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. I note that Roger Miller seems to have had similar difficulty with rhyming purple as our good friend Merdyl. I was going to be shocked if "maple surple" made it into Buddy's version, and sure enough it was dismissed. - Lopkhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This crossed my mind too - "Ode to Pedro Guerrero" by Merdyl Lacuesta.

    Roses are red
    Violets are purple
    You broke your leg
    No more tirple.

    And to think Merdyl was LAUGHED at for this line when there was Roger Miller precedent!

    ReplyDelete

Civility.