Saturday, September 3, 2011

30 in 30, 9/3/11 - "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself)", 4 Tops

One of the first songs I heard that I remember thinking of as a "favorite". Though I'm guessing I didn't hear it until 1972 or 73, so it was already an "oldie" by then. But I wanted the 45, I did, so I walked down to Record Town (corner of Beach and La Habra Boulevards in lovely La Habra, CA) to purchase this little gem and THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT! They only had recent Top 40 singles, as it turned out, but they did special order it for me...

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch by the 4 Tops...

IBL:mm

4 comments:

  1. Remember this one too. First words I remember seeing on 45s: "Little Eva" and "George McCrae"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Eva did The Locomotion for sure; I didn't know SHE'D done it till after I'd heard the Grand Funk version. I wonder just how funny GFR was trying to be with that remake...

    George McCrae I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure you've heard George McCrae:

    "Woman, take me in your arms, rock your baby"

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=arxhW1RgDDo

    Which got me thinking in total nonsequitur about Hues Corporation and "Rock the Boat". The HC's first big break was work on "Blacula", a cinematic extravaganza that only could have been made in that decade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are, of course, right, George. I do remember Rock Your Baby very clearly; also Rock the Boat. Learning about the Blacula connection, quite honestly, is the kind of a thing that makes me happy I have this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Civility.