Thursday, September 29, 2011

30 in 30, 9/26/11 - "So It Goes", Nick Lowe

I still put on my Best of Nick Lowe compilation if I've had a few cocktails and I'm seeking out groups of my absolute favorite songs. He's hit and miss at times, no doubt; but he's a good live show, and his 1979 album, Labor of Lust, which contained Cruel To Be Kind, was a great record from one end to the other (and another one that Music Plus guaranteed or your money back). I chose this one because I listened to it a LOT when I was 15. Well, I listened to the whole album a lot, I guess (though I can't seem to find it on CD, hence my purchase of the Best of).

Nick Lowe produced a bunch of the early Elvis Costello records; was a member of Rockpile and I THINK Brinsley Schwarz; was married to Carlene Carter (making him Johnny Cash's son-in-law for a time); and just seems like an all around good guy to me.

So It Goes...

IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. Waiting to see a box-set of Nick Lowe someday called something like "The Legend Behind The Legends". You forgot to mention that he was the bassist of the most low profile super-group ever: Little Village. I can't gush enough about this unassuming and brilliant musician. If the only thing he ever did was write "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?", it would have been enough to beatify him to Rock's puny Olympus. As an extension of my wanting to show these amazing people and how they get more subtle and depper with time, I give you Nick Lowe singing The Beast in Me on Elvis Costello's Spectacle Show not so long ago.

    http://youtu.be/kNeg_pkmjRk

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course - Little Village. Which also featured John Hiatt and maybe Ry Cooder? And that line-up certainly recorded several John Hiatt records.

    Agreed on What's So Funny...

    Thanks for the link, George...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.