Saturday, September 3, 2011

30 in 30, 9/2/11 - "I'd Love You to Want Me", Lobo

So one day I take this old black like Philco AM radio from the back bathroom and put it in my bedroom and turn it on. It's maybe summer of 1973, let's say. And the dial was off-white/cream with gold "leaf" numerals and there were NOT enough numbers on the dial, do you remember those? Like there was a "5", and then "7", and then "9.5" (and a few others), and you had to sort out the tuning based on that. Anyway, I turn the radio on, and the songs of the day that I remember that were in full rotation were One Tin Soldier by Coven; Free Electric Band by Albert Hammond ("my father sent me money and i spent it awfully fast/on a girl i met in Berkeley in my Social Science class/she wanted to get married and have a little track of land/so i gave her up for music and a free electric band"); Signs by Five Man Electrical Band (which mixed me up at age ten due to the title of the Hammond song); and Bad Bad Leroy Brown by Croce, who is SORELY missed and i might have to send one of his around before the month is over.

So there was another song that got played, though not as heavily, and it was I'd Love You To Want Me by Lobo, and I believe it was the first song I ever heard on the radio that moved me (whatever that means at age ten; granted, it was likely one of the first ten or twenty songs I DID hear, but still). I'm not saying it necessarily moves me now; if so, likely it's only in memory because quite frankly I'm seeing a bit of cheese I'm not going to kid you. And, yet, I still think about it fondly (true!) from time to time, and should you care to sample it, you can find it here...

IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. Kind of post Hollies becoming early seventies schlock pop. This one I do remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schlock pop is a term I may not have heard before but I reckon it is not a bad name for a genre.

    ReplyDelete

Civility.