Thursday, February 21, 2013

"Birthday Boy", Mike Cooley

On 3/21/12, right around the time I saw the Drive-By Truckers at the Showbox here in Seattle, I posted their song Birthday Boy, a Cooley composition, in these very pages (I also included the lyrics).  If this isn't my favorite DBT song, then it certainly has a fixed spot in my top 5.  In any event, I ran across this acoustic version and present it now for comparative purposes; and, also, because I think it has a lyrical passage as good as any I've heard in any song before - a description of the young women who might just wind up taking off a significant portion of their clothes for the birthday boy and his pals...

The pretty girls from the smallest towns
Get remembered like storms and droughts
The old men talk about for years to come
I guess that's why they give us names
So a few old men can say they saw us rain when we were young


Birthday Boy - music at 1:10; good sound, crappy video...

IBL:mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.