Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Billy Bragg - Anecdote, Autograph, "A New England"


Danielle and I were fortunate enough to see Billy Bragg at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco in either 2008 or 2009.  After the show, though it was mid-week and we had to be at work in the morning, we decided to stick around and meet Mr. Bragg - the line didn't seem too long, and we lived only a block and a half away.  In total, we probably spent three minutes with him, but I can't begin to tell you how genuinely warm and nice he was, and how sincerely grateful he was that people came out to see him.  As we were taking our leave, we asked if he would sign this towel, and he grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me around, then signed the towel on my back.  After that he gave a big goodnight hug to Danielle.


During the show, he told a story about his son, maybe 14 or 15, who was learning the guitar, and at some point asked Mr. Bragg to show him how to play a certain solo (on a Hendrix song, I think).  "And I had to explain to him," Mr. Bragg said, "your dad isn't that kind of a guitar player."

But he can write, by God, that he can do...

A New England...


IBL:mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.