Sunday, May 20, 2012

"Oops I Did It Again", Richard Thompson

On occasion here at IBL, we like to visit re-makes of songs that are markedly different than the originals.  On 12/10/11, for instance, we first saw Dolly Parton's Jolene, then a version by White Stripes; on 1/14/12 we saw the White Stripes doing their original number 7 Nation Army, then a version by the Oak Ridge Boys; on 1/26/12 the Small Faces doing If I Were a Carpenter.

And, so, I give you Richard Thompson covering Britney Spears, and I'm going to make the radical assumption you are already aware of the original, so no need to include that here.

(Oh, don't let the 4:39 run time scare you - the song clocks in at 3:20.)

Oops I Did It Again...


IBL:mm

5 comments:

  1. Britany vs Thompson makes me think of Lauper vs Davis. I can't recommend any of the live versions available on Youtube. I can recommend the album version of Time after Time:
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7610101&style=music

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looked this one up. Was unaware. Thanks...

    (And, of course, Coltrane and Julie Andrews, but that goes without saying...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the audience on this, starts with some laughter. Knowing Thompson, they're in for some tongue-in-cheek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbie Fulks and ABBA. Brilliant.

    [skip to 2:30 if you don't like hot pickin' on an old country song]

    http://youtu.be/dkrPmfUB5ig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, thanks for adding this. Very nice. Love Robbie Fulks, of course, but always hated Dancing Queen. I think my main problem with DQ was that it was so fucking LONG. Why was it so long? S.O.S. and Waterloo were perfectly pleasant little pop songs that ran, you know, 3:25 or whatever. DQ was like more than five minutes? Why; why I ask ye! Yawn-fest and a half.

    Until RF gets a hold of it. Very nice...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.