Thursday, May 17, 2012

True Blood and the Little Red Hen

So perhaps you watch the television show True Blood, or maybe you don't.  If you don't watch True Blood, this post is likely not for you...

But so then Danielle and I are living in San Francisco and, among other things (many other things), thinking about a move to Seattle and, also, watching the HBO program True Blood.  We became especially enamored of the opening credits, kind of sexy and scary at the same time, and overall very appropriate for what followed on a weekly basis.  And I remember thinking this clearly - I wonder what it would be like to have a drink in that bar; you know, the bar where the lovely woman dances provocatively and, then, is writhing about on the floor (0:54 and 1:02 on the link below).

So Danielle and I make a trip to Seattle in May/June 2010 and decide that, yes, this is the place for us and, upon our return to San Francisco, we began to make preparations for the move in earnest.  Having fallen in love with the Little Red Hen in Green Lake during our visit (a true honky tonk with country music five nights a week), we planned to live as close to the bar as possible.

Time passes, we watch another season of True Blood and, then, begin our long and winding move to Green Lake via Tacoma.  The Little Red Hen becomes not just a place to see live music in the evening but our after work local as well (five minute walk, maybe; if I look out my living room window now to the north I can see the top of the building through the trees).  And, then, one evening somebody says to me, "Hey, you watch True Blood? You know they filmed part of the opening credits here."  In fact, that was something I did not know, even though I'd been going to the bar regularly for three or four months.

So I come home and track down the opening credits on YouTube and are you fucking kidding me? My local is now the bar where the lovely woman is first dancing provocatively and, then, writhing about on the floor.  I needn't ever wonder again what it might be like to have a drink there.  In retrospect, I imagine I had not recognized LRH as that bar in the credits because we had missed the next season of True Blood and said credits were not fresh in my mind by a good 12, 13 months; though, also, those cuts are pretty quick - I might have missed it anyway.  There are a few others shots in the back pool room beginning around 0:49, but I'm sad to report the pool table is gone, replaced by a MASSIVE television screen (to my mind too massive).

In any event, this bonus - at 1:06 on the video, very briefly, one man shoves another.  If you freeze that moment and follow the curve of the bar to the left all the way to the wall (four or five stools only, the wall is mirrored), well, that's where Danielle and I generally sit.  Hey, you could too...

True Blood opening sequence...


IBL:mm

6 comments:

  1. I have never seen True Blood, heck, never heard of it, but I *love* this story. So, yes, I would say this post *is* for me!

    Also, do lovely women still dance provocatively and then writhe about on the floor at LRH? Sounds like a road trip is in order to see for myself ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you stop on by, Little Lady, and we'll see if we can't get you squared away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, love stuff like that. And identifying some little blip of where you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly astounding synchronicity. Thanks for posting. I'll get True Blood up on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I did not know this. Very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And so I have....and it was most grand indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete

Civility.