Wednesday, March 21, 2012

(In Which I BRIEFLY Comment on Last Night's Drive-By Truckers Concert at the Showbox Market in Seattle)

I enjoyed it very much. It was very loud. Their first encore was Birthday Boy, which may well be my favorite by DBT. The highlight of the evening, though, was A Ghost to Most - absolutely perfect.

And, so, one by the Drive-By Truckers complete with lyrics to enhance your "enjoyment"...

Birthday Boy...

Which one's the birthday boy?
She said I ain't got all night
What'd your mama name you?
You can call me what you like
Every skinny mystery gotta make it hard somehow
Sit your narrow ass down hotshot
I'll solve yours right now

You got a girlfriend don't you boy
Nervous hands can't lie
Married men don't ask how much
Single ones ain't buying
One day you got everything
Next day it's all broke
Let Miss Trixie sit up front
Let her wipe your nose

Working for the money like you got eight hands
Flat on your back under a mean old man
Just thinking happy thoughts and breathing deep
Between your mama's drive and daddy's belt
It don't take smarts to learn to tune out what hurts more than helps

The pretty girls from the smallest towns
Get remembered like storms and droughts
The old men talk about for years to come
I guess that's why they give us names
So a few old men can say they saw us rain when we were young

Which one's the birthday boy?
She said I ain't got all night
What'd your mama name you
You can call me what you like

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.