Friday, February 24, 2012

A Photograph of My First Martini of the Evening (Thursday, February 23rd, 2012, Little Red Hen, Seattle)


Right, I get it. I can't post to this blog endless photos of the endless Martinis I may or may not (may) consume in the lovely city of Seattle or elsewhere. I understand that could get repetitious, and might drive away a fair amount of my "web traffic". But, you know, on occasion I might; I just might...

And, so, the first Bombay Sapphire (no vermouth, no garnish) from last evening, artfully prepared at the Little Red Hen by Shorty. And, yes - those are Shorty's jean-clad legs in the background.

IBL:mm

4 comments:

  1. No vermouth? No garnish? Then it's not a Martini. Not that there's anything wrong with a cold gin served up, but it's not a Martini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, you'll get no argument from me - it's not technically a Martini. But, you know, sometimes I go for the economy of language rather than the longer more accurate description. But I will add this - I was in the Redwood Room back in the day before Ian Schrager fucked it up, and I asked for my Martini up but without vermouth and the bartender (who had been doing this for years, I assure you) looked at me VERY indignantly and said "Sir, we do NOT put vermouth in our Martinis." So, you know, some people definitely have other thoughts on this matter. But at the end of the day, I agree with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I was introduced to the joys of Martinis by Mr. Murray, I have come to prefer mine with 1/4 shot of Martini & Rossi vermouth. And although Sapphire will always come first to mind, I was quite inspired by a Hendrick's the other night. Finding a place with pickled onions is great. But I was disappointed to find not all pickled onions are alike. Undoubtedly what was served was some fancy embellished recipe which to me is absurd. Marketeers run amok. I couldn't eat the second. When it comes to pickled onions there is more value in interchangeability and predictability than in variety. Thanks providing a space for this vitally important rant.

      Delete
  3. Vitally important rants is our business, Bryan. And that Hendrick's is a good gin; so is Junipero which is made by Anchor Steam...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.