Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I would just like to say that no matter how traumatic the 70s were, they did have Soul Train. I always thought that if the benign, paternal, all loving God existed, his voice must sound just like Don Cornelius. I was quite sad in a kind of from afar way, when I heard he had committed suicide. Soul Train was revelatory, from the bubble lettering , to the pink blue and silver afro sheen commercials, to that universe of amazing music. Don is riding on the big Soul Train now.

2 comments:

  1. I think I watched this on Saturday afternoons as a ten year old in La Habra...

    Thanks, George...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid I used to flip back and forth between Soul Train and American Bandstand, and lingered a lot longer on Soul Train. I remember seeing Marvin Gaye sing Let's Get It On in a knit hat.

    ReplyDelete

Civility.