Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Other One

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric Company in San Francisco for about 11 years, from the late 90s until 2007.  Our department had a fair amount of people, let’s say fifty (though I don’t remember the exact number), and there were two Caucasian men who were gay and out.  I will call them Dennis and Marshall.  There was also a Filipina woman who worked there, and for a time we shared an office, and I liked her very much.  She was nothing but kind and generous to me always.  I will call her Maria.  One day Dennis approached me and told me this brief story – 

He was walking down the hall and bumped into Maria, and she greeted him and said, "Hello, Marshall."

"Oh, I'm Dennis," he responded.

"That's right," Maria said.  "You're the other one." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.