Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Mother Weeping Big Old Blub Crytears

on a couch in the living room when I was living on Pacheco Street in Santa Cruz with George Angel, Denise and Beth.  At the time I was dating Jamie, and she'd been over for dinner maybe and then gone on to her own place.  Wait, I take that back - I was sleeping on the couch and had given my mom the bedroom.  And George and I stayed up late and were bullshitting about this and that and, eventually, he went to bed and I did the same, and that's when I heard my mom crying in the other room, just bawling.  So I knocked on the door and went in and asked what was wrong.  It seemed out of the blue, her tears, though it was not that long after my father died, less than a year I guess, so maybe I figured it was that.  But it was not that.  No, instead she was crying because she was afraid that I was going to marry Jamie, and Jamie wasn't a Catholic.  That is what she was crying about, that.  Now, at the time, I likely thought I was going to marry Jamie, but I'm pretty sure I consoled my mom with the thought that such a scenario was inconceivable, not to worry.  I mean I didn't know what else to do, she was in such a state.

Stay tuned for the follow-up vignette wherein I actually marry Danielle, and my mother declines to come to the wedding.  Good, good times...

IBL:mm

5 comments:

  1. Love these personal anecdotes well told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I don't think I'd heard that anecdote before.

    When did Baby Jesus make her crazy? Was it a gradual thing or did your dad's death send her over the edge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just remembered this. I think she was mostly always like this in retrospect, but kept her shit together more when she was younger. She's gone Depth Con Whatever now as she's getting even older. It's like having a different person as your mother from when I was, you know, a kid to 17 or 18 or so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's nothing a forty and a ball game can't cure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert, that was really the last great time I had with my mother. But what an evening that was...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.