Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fire Hydrant Plus Brief Story


















It's no secret that I see, well, crosses here and there in the world around me.  Yesterday at the Woodland Park Zoo, in my new hometown of Seattle, I thought I saw a cross in this little fella, so bent over to take a snap.  Even as I did, I wondered if somebody might see me and, as I was likely obscuring the hydrant, wonder what creature I might have in my sights.  Well, Danielle reports that a woman walked by and and said to her companion, "I wonder what that woman is taking a picture of, maybe a peacock?" (I believe the zoo has exactly ZERO peacocks on display; I believe that, should you not know me, it was my long hair that fooled her.)  When I stood up there was palpable disappointment on her part, I suspect due to the lack of peacock.  "Wrong on both counts," as Danielle opined...

I decided not to keep the photo; I only include it here for the purposes of the story...

IBL:mm

1 comment:

  1. If you turn and she see's her mistake, there is a slight surprise. If she sees the hydrant, it's more, 'what am I missing?...' But then, that observation also applies to seeing you. When Fellini's peacock emerges from behind the hydrant, she say's, " I KNEW IT!" And you turn and are more astonished than gratified. Chinese boxes of observer and observed. Intertextuality. Tough to be here and now for long.

    ReplyDelete

Civility.