Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Box Score From My Third Baseball Game, San Diego @ Los Angeles, 4/13/76

On February 8th I talked a little about the first baseball game I ever attended; on April 11th about the second, a game which featured my first baseball love, the Detroit Tigers.  Today, I present you with the box score from the third baseball game I attended, which featured my second baseball love, the Los Angeles Dodgers.

 Tuesday, April 13th, 1976 - San Diego Padres 8, Los Angeles Dodgers 5

A few thoughts -
  • This was the Dodgers home opener, but played in the evening due to an extremely rare rain out the day before.
  • Dodgers lose, even though the Padres out-error the Dodgers 4-0.
  • Aside from the famous Dodger names in the line-up (your Ceys and Bakers and Buckners and Garveys), there are a couple of gentlemen of whom I have literally zero recollection - pitcher Stan Wall and pinch hitter Henry Cruz.
  • Over on the Padres side, there's Dave Winfield just starting his 3rd full big league season, and delivering a 7th inning grand slam.
  • Mike Ivie! Johnny Grubb!
  • Willie Davis in CF for San Diego - he was a popular Dodger from 1960 to 1973.
  • Finally, Fred Kendall comes in late at catcher for the Padres.  Another person of whom I have no recollection, but he does turn out to be the father of Jason Kendall, also a catcher, who played from 1996 to 2010.
IBL:mm


1 comment:

  1. I remember the Grubbster fondly from his days in Detroit. Put up a .333/.412/.590 year in 243 plate appearances in 1986. Sure was a boon to my strat team.

    ReplyDelete

Civility.