Saturday, January 14, 2012

"7 Nation Army" by Oak Ridge Boys; then White Stripes...

In a post on 12/10/2011, I presented Jolene by Dolly Parton, then the White Stripes version of same. Here, country band the Oak Ridge Boys cover 7 Nation Army by White Stripes. I am always interested to hear new interpretations of songs that are utterly different than the originals (though at the end of the day I might prefer the original, of course - Neil Young's Heart of Gold over the Tori Amos version, say), and if the original gets turned on its head, all the better (for an extreme example of this see the post on 9/2/2011 wherein Buddy Miller does something pretty remarkable to Roger Miller's Dang Me).

The music starts at 1:47 -

7 Nation Army by Oak Ridge Boys...



And, should you be unfamiliar with the original and want to compare -

7 Nation Army by White Stripes...


IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. I hope and trust you're familiar with Dwight Yoakam's version of 'Train in Vain'. Tis a brilliant countrified interpretation that makes the song all his own.

    Interesting take on 7 Nation Army. I did not realize Harry Shearer was in the Oak Ridge Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Bolster - I do know Train in Vain by Dwight, yes. Actually, he's done several versions of rock/pop songs along the way, though the only other one that springs to mind now is I Want You To Want Me by Cheap Trick. As I want to continue doing these sort of "comparison" entries in the future, I'll keep Dwight and the Clash in mind.

    Harry Shearer gets around, yes..

    ReplyDelete

Civility.