Saturday, May 9, 2020

Spade and Archer




















And so this is a follow-up to my previous post, regarding books that fall apart in your hands as you are reading them.  This one was a hard back, green cover, and had 5 Hammett novels.  You have perhaps seen this edition in used bookstores or, you know, it's on your shelf.  From 1945 or so I think.  Anyway, this one fell apart about three years ago and I saved some of the pieces.  The title page I framed and sent to my friend Steve Goldstein in Queens, New York, as he is a big fan and thought he would appreciate.  He put it up in his office in Manhattan and now, sheltered in place, he and the title page are separated by the East River, and likely I think there are tears in both boroughs.  But it was the first page of "Falcon" I wanted for myself, and finally framed it two nights ago.

IBL:mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.