Saturday, January 12, 2019

"The Enormous Radio"

















How to explain this one.  First, let's start with - pen on torn pages from the Collected Stories of John Cheever (paperback, 12 pages of text, six total torn pages), 7 x 4.5 inches, each page.  This from early 2017 when we were still living in Greenwood, Seattle.

And so maybe you know the story, but after re-reading it in 2017, I decided, you know, what if I lined out all the sentences in the story that did NOT mention the word "radio"?  And so I did.  (Right - your guess is as good as mine.)  But in truth, thinking back, I believe the intention was then to 1. read the story out loud with only the remaining sentences, the sentences that mentioned the word "radio", and see if that, perhaps, created anything interesting.  And then, if it did, 2. to transcribe the remaining sentences into a new, shorter, even more radio-centric version of the Cheever classic.  I have yet to do 1. or 2., but I plan to knock out at least the first tomorrow, and I'll be sure and let you know if anything interesting comes of it.

IBL:mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.