Monday, May 14, 2012

Trayvon Martin Shooting Targets (or, Why We Are Crap - Another In A Long Line of Examples)

An unidentified gentleman (patriot?) who wanted to make money off the Trayvon Martin "controversy" created paper targets with an image of the 17 year old boy framed in cross hairs.  The unidentified gentleman (patriot?) claims he sold them out in two days.  Which means that Americans are potentially using the image of an unarmed, 17 year old boy for their - I'm just going to say it - racist target practice - and, yes, I understand that "target practice" as something of an inanimate object/concept cannot, itself, be racist.  I also understand that almost certainly some people (heroes?) bought these as a "collector's item" (like, you know, Little Black Sambo salt and pepper shakers), hoping they would increase in value.

Link below shows the target should you care to see it.

If you didn't already, I just thought you should know.

http://www.prwatch.org/news/2012/05/11509/virginia-firm-sells-gun-targets-resembling-trayvon-martin


IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. Complete with hoodie, ice tea drink and Skittles.
    What was the progression of thought when designing the paper target?
    ---------------------------------
    Hmmm, a hoodie alone is too generalized an image. Targeting a street punk, everyone relates to that so no big deal. But if I put the Skittles and tea in, there will be no doubt I'm referring to Trayvon. And the real point is, no matter how innocent the pedestrian may be, if they don't respond properly to my authority (and are black or hispanic), they are fair game. I know this is going to sell, the same way Zombie killer ammo does. It's a bad-boy novelty.
    ---------------------------------------
    There is often a heh heh F**k you humor which accompanies some gun rights posturing. F*** you if you can't take a joke attitude. You got a problem? Stare down the end of my big long gun barrel. I got your free speech right here MF.
    There will always be a tragically abused child who becomes a bully, burying their insecurity behind aggression, hate and the bad boy image. But in the US, they can be armed to the teeth.
    I'm going to Costa Rica where there is no Army and the right to private gun ownership is NOT guaranteed by law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the progression was as simple as "this could make me some money", but I see what you are getting at, of course. And how about the level of fear/cowardice that our man does not IDENTIFY himself...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.