Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Forever Stamps - 20th Century Poets

So I was in the post office on 1st Street in downtown Seattle yesterday prior to the Tigers/Mariners game because, for one thing, I had to mail a few items and, for another, I had to pick up some stamps.  And there was no line! I mean that alone could justify this entire entry but, wait, there's more - I took a glance at the stamp possibilities and there they were: a sheet of 20 Forever stamps featuring 20th Century poets.  The first one I notice is Elizabeth Bishop which excites me greatly because (as has been earlier reported in these pages on 2/19/12) Danielle adores EB and I can't wait till she finds out EB got her own stamp.  But there are others, too: ten poets in all (two stamps for each).  As far as the ladies go, in addition to Miss Bishop we have Gwendolyn Brooks, Sylvia Plath (bitch could write) and Denise Levertov.  The men? Well, how about Joseph Brodsky, William Carlos Williams (love him), Robert Hayden, Wallace Stevens, Theodore Roethke and, happily, E.E. Cummings.  In short, scansion in the house.

Forever Stamps, 20th Century Poets - An IBL Purchase Recommendation (tm).

IBL:mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.