Tuesday, March 6, 2012

(In Which I Encourage Men of a Certain Age to Get Their Prostates Checked...)

No need to get too detailed here, of course, but a quick word about prostate exams - the folks over at the IBL Med Center wanted me to pass along some information, namely that men of a certain age (you know, right around 50 or so) should get their prostates checked, and then probably on a yearly basis after that. The test is not pleasant, I'll give you that, but it's also not painful, and it takes less than ten seconds (the build-up far worse in my humble opinion (and, yes - I did have one yesterday: all's well)). So, ten seconds of discomfort versus, you know, the potential that something truly unpleasant might just set up camp elsewhere in your body (bad business that). As Melissa, my Physician Assistant said to me, "your wife will thank you"; I might add that so will your boyfriend, children, other close friends and, it goes without saying, your dogs and cats...

IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. Being one of the many who is one serious diagnosis away from bankruptcy, I've accepted the fact that I'm stuck with my genes and eating right and getting exercise is what will help me the most. Aside from finding a job which would provide healthcare. Which at the age of 57 is unlikely. Not to mention my attitude toward bagging groceries is really bad. Is it a tragedy that I'm presently living precisely the life I want to be living? As a US citizen I clearly have no value to society except in terms of the wage earning work I do and the money I can spend. On both counts I'm way down the ladder. I know I have at least a little in common with the homeless I pass on the street.
    I agree that early diagnosis and treatment makes sense for those with health care.
    Frank Zappa died of it.
    I like surgeons who get paid by salary and not by procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not a tragedy at all that life that you are living...

    You know, I think a person without insurance could go to the MD and get their prostate checked and just pay out of pocket. Odds are there'll be no problem and onward and upward. Of course, if there is, what to do then without healthcare. Not sure how this kind of thing will ever get sorted out...

    Thanks for adding value here, by the way...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.