Friday, February 3, 2012

"The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret"...

... is the name of a television show on, I believe, IFC (though made in conjunction with BBC Television). I hadn't heard of it at all until last week. The first six episode season is available, streaming, on Netflix; the second and final six episode season is, I believe, airing now on IFC. The show stars David Cross who, among other things, was a regular on the Mr. Show and also portrayed Tobias Funke on Arrested Development. It is, technically, a comedy.

After watching the first episode of this show (the episodes run 20 minutes), I realized that I, personally, could not watch MORE than one episode during any one sitting. After watching the second episode, I wanted to re-name the show The Book of Job, but quickly realized that wasn't quite right; more like The Book of Job if God Was Not the Instigator of All the Job-Related Calamities But, Instead, Job Was Himself to Blame. To say this show is a demonstration of one man as a Human Train Wreck is likely an understatement. He says the wrong thing EVERY time; he lies; he fancies himself as smart but is, in essence, a rube; he's arrogant and crude; there is a running gag where he continually shits himself. And, yet, there is also something completely and utterly sad about Todd Margaret that Mr. Cross manages to convey. (Also, fine work from the supporting players including Will Arnett, Sharon Horgan and ESPECIALLY Blake Harrison as Dave, Todd's assistant, who never misses an opportunity to torture his boss.)

So, have I sold this hard enough, I wonder? It is NOT for everyone, that is clear, but I'm going to recommend you at least look at one episode and let me know what you think. I'd love to discuss it. (Oh, and if it matters? Danielle is watching, too, though it might be a little out of her wheelhouse...)

IBL:mm

2 comments:

Civility.