Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Box Score from My First Baseball Game, Boston @ California, 6/13/73

I was not a member of the La Habra, California Boys' Club but had friends who were, and one night in June of 1973, when I was nine years old, I was invited along with several other boys to attend the first baseball game of my life, Boston Red Sox vs. California Angels at Anaheim Stadium. We had a black and white television at home and I watched as much baseball as I could; now, the thing I remember most vividly inside Angel Stadium that evening was my first glimpse of the grass, and how beautifully green it was, the most beautiful green I'd ever seen.

There is a website (www.retrosheet.org) doing the Lord's work - it has information on all baseball teams, players, trades, rule changes and a million other things INCLUDING complete box scores back into the 50s (and some even further back than that). So it occurred to me a couple of years ago that I could find the box score for the first game I'd ever been to, and I've attached a link to it here.

Wednesday, June 13th, 1973 - California Angels 7, Boston Red Sox 5 (@Anaheim)

As someone who has now been watching baseball for 40 seasons, a couple of things stood out for me which I'd like to share. And, of course, should you care to track down the box score for a game you attended in the way distant past and share that here, well, I'd love to talk about it (Jim Ciulik - THIS MEANS YOU!).

First, with regard to the Red Sox -
  • I was a Tigers' fan then (and now - more on that in the next post) and didn't really understand the concept of the National League; I was somehow unaware there was another team to the west of us in Los Angeles (though that would change in 1974 when the Dodgers went to the World Series). I wound up becoming a big Dodgers' fan in 1976, and as a teenager my favorite Dodger was Reggie Smith, and here's Reggie batting second in the first game I ever attended.
  • Fisk behind the plate, Yaz at 1B. Enough said, really.
  • Cepeda at DH; 1974 would be his final year.
  • Tommy Harper in LF.
  • Aparacio at SS; 1973 would be his final year.
  • And, just starting out, Dwight Evans in his first full season.

And, for the Angels -

  • Sandy Alomar at 2B. His boys Robbie and Sandy Jr. played major league ball and they're both retired now.
  • Frank Robinson at DH. Enough said redux.
  • Behind the plate Jeff Torborg who, of course, went on to be a fairly successful major league manager for a number of years, and then a television analyst (and caught two of Nolan Ryan's no-hitters, as I recall).
IBL:mm

6 comments:

  1. Doing the "Lord's work..." indeed. Blessed to be sure. Archaeology of the not-too-distant past. There is an X-File episode where Mulder muses on how a box score in baseball reveals so much detail. Moments unfold in baseball with a yin/yang grace. Football is a clash of swords.
    Hopefully I can avoid the revisionist history of old age: I was taken to my first baseball game by the father of my high school girlfriend. It was just the two of us. I'm pretty sure he had box seats provided by his company. I had no appreciation of what it meant to sit behind home plate. Tiger Stadium. Probably 1969 no later than 1970. Profoundly free of corporate intrusion. It's amazing how oblivious, I was to the moment. Tom Tresh. Norm Cash. Al Kaline. But was it Mickey Lolich? Denny McLain? My girlfriend's father, we'd play tennis together. We had a good relationship. Sometimes on Friday's he'd make us Mai Tai's [My family were bible-belt teetotalers so this was great fun. A later girlfriend's father, blue collar Polish Catholic with 9 children in the house once sat me down with a bottle of JD but I digress]. He felt he was really giving me something cool. On the way home, it was somewhat a bummer to him it didn't affect me more. Him not being rewarded for his generosity is just as sad as me not knowing what the hell baseball was about. I subscribe to the idea, so well represented in the movie Brainstorm (1983) that when you shuffle off the mortal coil you have the blessing/curse to revisit any and all episodes of your life. My question is: When I re-live something am I limited to what I felt at that time or do I get to appreciate from a broader perspective? I want it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. You know, the Tigers and Mickey Lolich will figure prominently in my ext baseball post. Hopefully today but, if not, by Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I got to your boxscore link, but before reading the rest of your post, I decided to give myself a test to see how many first names I could recall (or guess when necessary) based on the last name.
    My answer/the correct name:

    Red Sox
    Terry/John (I was pretty sure this was wrong since Terry was a catcher - maybe he had a Biggio moment)
    Reggie/Reggie
    Carlton/Carlton
    Carl/Carl
    Orlando/Orlando
    Ben/Ben
    Rico/Rico (had a good streak going here)
    Ben/Tommy (should have known this but totally blanked and based my guess on the singer)
    Luis/Luis
    Dwight/Dwight
    Curly/Ray (Could have sworn there was a BB player of this name, but actually he played football)
    Joe/Roger (total guess - Joe was the most average name that popped into my head)
    Al or Bob/Don (not sure where those names came from - maybe Bob from Newhart)
    8/13 for 61.5%.

    Angels
    Sandy/Sandy
    Vada/Vada
    Frank/Frank
    Dave/Jerry
    Mike/Mike
    Al/Bob (Al was playing for Pittsburgh at the time)
    Mike or Dave/Leroy (so close and yet . . .)
    Dave/Ken (random guess and Joe was taken)
    Pete/Al (sadly the actor was not playing for the halos at that time)
    Jeff/Jeff
    Al/Rudy (was thinking of Dimeola)
    Robin/Clyde (equal time for actresses)
    Tom/Dave
    5/13 for 38.5%

    Not surprisingly, I know position players at the front of a lineup much better than those lower down or pitchers. Now if only you'd gone to a Reds/Dodgers.

    But thanks for the trip down memory lane. I couldn't tell you the first game I went to other than that it was a Dodger game and that I was probably about 7 (so around 1974) and was the guest of my friend R.J's father (a dead ringer for Telly Savalas) who had tickets because he owned a Datsun dealership and they were big sponsors of the Dodgers in those days. Maybe they still are - as Nissan, of course. It was a sunny day and the birds were singing. (Well I'll assume that about the birds, but it was sunny. But isn't it always at the ballpark?!)
    Lopkhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know where the birds sing loudest in the ballpark? Pittsburgh, that's where...

      Props on Al Dimeola and Joe was taken...

      Delete
  4. Link to my favorite live ballgame:

    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1989/B04150SDN1989.htm

    Old English anyone?

    -lopkhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luis Salazar - RF, 3B and soon to be manager and Hall of Famer...

      I remember that night well - one of the last good times I had with my mother...

      And the Eric Davis home run. Truly a great night...

      Delete

Civility.