Friday, September 9, 2011

30 in 30, 9/8/11 - "Photograph", Ringo Starr

Another one I loved as a kid: the second album I ever bought was "Ringo", 1974, largely for this song. (Oh, make that 8-Track tape; the first, also 8-Track, was "Band on the Run".) On the final song of the album Ringo speaks the "liner notes" (I guess you'd call them) over the end music. I'd never heard that before (obviously) and I'm not sure I've heard it since (though I think it happens in a few movies, Fahrenheit 451, maybe).

But this song, with its giant wall of sound, those clean rhythm guitars and then, also inside that wall, the bells, the accompanying and then sort of chorale vocals, the piano and, yes, even the strings (castanets!). I just think it's an amazing pop song. Written by George and Ringo.

Photograph...

IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. My father had this on a Ringo Starr compilation and I remember thinking that the music sounded like a big machine moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, George, that big machine moving forward...

    What I DO think is a good thing is knowing that I had an album with a song on it and your dad had an album with the same song on it...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.