Saturday, September 24, 2011

30 in 30, 9/20/11 - "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters", Elton John

Along with Queen, Elton John was another of my very early favorites (I mean was I gay positive as a kid or what?); likely EJ pre-dated Queen for me by a year or so, I would think. I still believe that period from 1969 to 1975 - say from Empty Sky to Captain Fantastic (and we'll throw in a handful of songs from Rock of the Westies (76) and Blue Moves (78?) as well) - Bernie Taupin and Elton John were writing some of the finest, intelligent (and what category do you put them in, pop? not all of it WAS pop) songs we will ever hear. Elton heavily influenced by Leon Russell vocally, Bernie by the Band lyrically (I think Levon is Levon for a reason). I could have picked any of fifty or sixty songs here - Madman Across the Water, Tiny Dancer, Levon, High Flying Bird, Blues for Baby and Me, Writing, Ticking, Your Song, Take Me to the Pilot ... that list just goes on and on.

Went with Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters off of Honky Chateau...

IBL:mm

2 comments:

  1. I listened to all of this music. I loved Tumbleweed Connection and Captain Fantastic. I still know the words to every song off of the albums you mention. Soulful and curiously private music. I have chosen to bring back a song that just moved and that no one ever mentions, a personal favorite:

    http://youtu.be/zhepkuBPqMs

    Susie (Dramas)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tumbleweed also a favorite of mine, yes. Plus Madman. At any rate, I always loved Suzie, absolutely; and there's another Amy who appears on this album, too. Plus Hercules and I Think I'm Going to Kill Myself. Thanks for reminding me of this one, George...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.