Thursday, September 29, 2011

30 in 30, 9/27/11 - "My Old School", Steely Dan

One of my favorite songs ever (I love it when people say that; how many songs are we TALKING about when we say that? 10? 100? 1,000? Something to sort out another day, I guess). Steely Dan put out some great music in the 70s, I think, though I have to admit Messrs. Fagen and Becker lost me post-Aja. And even Aja is a little ... oh, never mind. Anyway, all those amazing songs, the fantastic guitar work, Fagen's voice (not to mention named after a dildo). But this is the one I always come back to, no disrespect intended to Reelin' in the Years, Kid Charlemagne (one of my all time favorite lines - "is there gas in the car/yes there's gas in the car"), Deacon Blues, Bodhisattva, Show Biz Kids, Dr. Wu or any of the others...

The picture is not ideal, but the sound is clean, and here is My Old School...

IBL:mm

6 comments:

  1. Great choice- there are so many to choose from, but this might be the one I'd have gone with as well, though nothing quite hits me like "Hey Nineteen."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by Hey Nineteen they'd sort of lost me, I think. Was that on Gaucho?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was on Gaucho, an album that otherwise left me cold. But something about that song reminds of Venice Beach, people on roller skates, all on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaucho was where they lost me too, although the fact that I was fully immersed in the LA punk scene by that time probably had something to do with it. The manifestly coked-out vibe was just too much; their mannerism had devolved into paralysis.

    But circa 1993, behind the wheel of a black BMW, driving down PCH from Ventura County into Malibu & Santa Monica...this album was absolutely, ineffably right.

    Under-appreciated SD treasures: "Dirty Work" and "Don't Take Me Alive"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paulie - love Dirty Work. That's not Fagen, though, right? That's the "other" singer? Was he only on the first album...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think maybe Denny Dias? Definitely first album & not Fagen.

    Forgot 'Charlie Freak' - looking for something bleak and self-indicting? I think we have some in the back; I'll go check for you...

    ReplyDelete

Civility.