Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tom Dowd and the Language of Music

Recommending this documentary, Tom Dowd and the Language of Music. Probably one of the best if not the best documentary I've ever seen. (Danielle and I have watched it twice now and she concurs, should that add any fuel to your fire.) Dowd engineered/produced everybody under the sun - Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Ray Charles, Aretha, Otis, Cream, the Allmans, Lynyrd Skynyrd. The list goes on and on. You would not necessarily have to be a fan of the particular bands, I don't believe, to enjoy this (he produced a wide range of music), though it certainly would be a richer experience, I suppose, if you were. Spoiler alert - this movie came out in 2003 and Dowd died right before it was released. They tell you that at the end; I was happy to know it in advance. Oh yeah, and he worked on the atomic bomb. So there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.