Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"To Live Is To Fly", Ryan Bingham

Ryan Bingham is all of 30 years old and has four albums under his belt, as well as an Academy Award (along with T-Bone Burnett, I believe) for The Weary Kind from the film Crazy Heart (Ryan also appears in the movie early on as the guitarist playing with Bad Blake in, as I recall, a bowling alley).  At any rate, he is currently touring America, and then headed to Europe, and he does a very nice live show I have to say, but I would add this caveat - I have only seen him once, and the show I saw was a little more on the rock and blues side as opposed to, let's say, the "roots" side, or the gentle quiet found here.  I would see him again, but would hope for a little more balance.  (Also: in an album review a couple of years ago, Rolling Stone referred to him as "sounding like Steve Earle's grandfather".  Not sure if I agree with that, but I do think it's a funny line.)

Lately Ryan has been recording acoustic covers and posting them via Twitter; last week he recorded To Live Is To Fly, and since I'd done Townes' original yesterday, I thought I'd add this one today...


IBL:mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civility.